A notoriously difficult sector to keep talent, the oil and gas industry has always suffered from a shortage of workforce. Subsequently this has lead to the rising costs of wages and disputes between operators.
But what is the cause of this talent shortage in the first place? Mercer looks into the hot topic in their infographic below:
Talent shortage infographic
- Petroleum engineers remain the most 'in-demand' jobs in the industry
- Operators believe there is a 74% skills shortage
- China will have a 68% skill gap in sales and traders over the next 5 years
- There is a 20% skill gap in quality assurance posts globally
- A push for talent development and deployment is required